Are you a (Research) Master student at one of the six KNIR partner universities in the Netherlands and do you want to conduct research for your thesis in Rome? Then you are eligible for a KNIR scholarship. If you are a BA student at one of the above mentioned universities, you are not eligible for a KNIR scholarship, but you can apply for several KNIR courses and summer schools.
The scholarship consists of
1. free lodging at the KNIR for a minimum of 4 and maximum of 7 weeks
2. a weekly allowance of €70,- for your general expenses during your scholarship in Rome
3. a one-time reimbursement of €100,- for your travelling expenses to Rome (or €125,- for those who travel by train)
1. You are a (R)MA student enrolled at one of the following Dutch universities: University of Groningen, Leiden University, University of Amsterdam, Utrecht University, VU University Amsterdam and Radboud University Nijmegen
2. You are conducting research for your (Research) Master’s thesis
3. You can demonstrate that a stay at the KNIR will benefit your research
If you are not enrolled at one of the six Dutch universities associated with the Institute, you cannot apply for a KNIR scholarship, but you can send in a request for paid accommodation at the Institute.
How to apply?
The deadlines for applications are 15 May (for the 1st semester) and 15 November (for the 2nd semester). You can apply by completing the application form (below). You will be asked to provide the following information / upload the following documents:
- a title and short description of your research (max. 450 characters)
- a letter of motivation (max 1 A4)
- an updated overview of your study results
- a recent CV (max 2 A4)
- a (provisional) thesis proposal, in which you specify the reason(s) why you want to conduct research in Rome (ca. 1-2 A4)
- a photo, which we will use only on our website(s) and social communication channels if you have been granted this scholarship
For this scholarship it is not necessary to have a full outline of your thesis subject yet. Rather indicate the type of (re)sources that you would like to access in for instance libraries, archives, or museums, and how your approach would benefit from a stay at KNIR.
When selecting applicants, we look at your motivation, the benefit of a stay at the KNIR for your (type of) research, the quality of your (provisional) thesis proposal, your CV, and your contribution to the KNIR academic community.
The results of the selection process will follow no later than one month after the deadline. If your scholarship is granted, we will plan your research stay within the semester you have applied for. In the application form you have the possibility to indicate periods during which a stay is impossible. You can also indicate preferences (e.g. the beginning or the end of the semester). We will reckon with these preferences as much as possible.
After receiving a confirmation of your KNIR scholarship you are asked to accept the scholarship and confirm the period of your research stay within one week.