Wie zijn wij
Prof. dr. Lautaro Roig Lanzillotta
Discipline en specialisatie:
• Klassieke Talen & Culturen
Early Christianity: Nag Hammadi and Early Christian Apocrypha
Greco-Roman Philosophy and Religion
Plutarch of Chaeronea
Periode in Rome:
Lautaro Roig Lanzillotta obtained his MA in Classics at the Complutense University (1991) and completed his Research Master at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and the University Complutense. He earned his doctorate in Greek Philosophy from the University Complutense (1997) and his second doctorate in Theology from the University of Groningen (2004). A visiting researcher and scholar at the Universities of Brasilia, UNAM, Guanajuato, Coimbra, Pontifical Catholic University of Chile, Catholic University of Cuyo, Mackenzie University, University of El Salvador (Buenos Aires), and University of Cordoba (Spain), he teaches in Groningen since 2007. He was appointed Professor of New Testament and Christian Origins in 2018.
His research areas are Early Christianity, including the Nag Hammadi codices and Gnosticism; Early Christian Apocrypha; Religion and Philosophy Late Antiquity; and Plutarch of Chaeronea.
He is Editor-in-chief of the international journal Gnosis: Journal of Gnostic Studies; of the online tool Nag Hammadi Bibliography Online; and of the series Brill’s Plutarch Studies.
The focus of my research has always been Religion and Culture. How is religion embedded in its cultural context? What contacts, interaction, mutual influences are there? And why is it important to understand this interaction? In this sense, my field of expertise is on the intersection of the Greco-Roman and Christian worlds. I am interested in the role that Greek philosophy played in the formation of Christianity and, more specifically, how diverse Greek philosophical currents may help us explain early Christian diversity.
In my view, this research is crucial, not only for a better understanding of the rise of Christianity, but especially to grasp the hybridity of the plural origins of our Western culture. Along with the New Testament, the Christian views included in both in the Apocryphal writings and Nag Hammadi help us to reconstruct the wide spectrum of ideas and beliefs out of which Christian worldviews develop. And by understanding the past in a better way, we can also better understand our present.
At present I (co)supervises the following research projects:
- 2018 – present. Acta Thomae Apocrypha. Edition, Translation and Commentary. Collaboration University of Groningen – University of Córdoba (Spain).
- 2017 – present. Religious and Philosophical Currents in Late Antiquity and their Resonances in Modern Thought. Collaboration with the University Del Salvador (Argentina).
- 2017 – present. Edition, Translation and Commentary of the Coptic Version of the Visio Pauli, together with colleague Van de Vliet from Leiden University.
- 2015 – present. The Nag Hammadi Bibliography Online (Netherlands).
- 2009 – present. The Religious World of Plutarch of Chaeronea (ongoing research project in the context of the European Plutarch Research Network.
- Plutarch’s Treatise De facie quae in orbe lunae apparet (2018).
- The Reception of Gnosticism in Hollywood Cinema
- The City and the Naturalists – Impiety Accusations in the Ancient World
- Prepositions of Movement in New Testament Greek. Essay of Semantic Analysis
- Fashioning the Self in Flavian Rome. A Literary Analysis of Josephus’ Autobiographical Narrative in the Bellum Judaicum (2nd supervisor)
- Reading the Gospel of Thomas. From Commentary to Meaning
- The Philosophical Background of Justin Martyr
- You and Me, Us and Them: it’s in the eyes! An Analysis of Role of the Eye in Ancient Mediterranean Narratives.
- Intertextual Studies on Strategies of Steering Readers within the Revelation of John
- The Adverb in the New Testament. Classification from a Semantic Point of View
- Mirrors, Dreams, and Illusion. The Reception of Gnosticism in Jorge Luis Borges
Lezingen / Congressen
Voor een overzicht van boeken: www.rug.nl/staff/f.l.roig.lanzillotta/research/publications.html?filter=bookanthology
Voor een overzicht van artikelen en papers: www.rug.nl/staff/f.l.roig.lanzillotta/research/publications.html